Conor McGregor may be officially retired, but that hasn’t stopped the former UFC champion from issuing challenges to fellow fighters.
While “Notorious” has already expressed his plans to take out the Diaz brothers in 2021 the Irishman is also open to competing against UFC veteran Diego Sanchez in his last trip to the Octagon.
Sanchez, who takes on Jake Matthews on the UFC 253 undercard this Saturday, called for a fight with McGregor earlier this week, identifying it as the ideal matchup for the final fight of his legendary career.
“My goals in these last four fights in the UFC is to finish strong, to finish healthy,” Sanchez said (via Essentially Sports). “I shoot for the moon man, I shoot for the moon in everything I do. I’m looking for legend fights. I’m not looking past Jake Matthews, but I’m looking for some legend fights.
“Nick Diaz is coming back,” Sanchez added. “There’s some other names, Nate Diaz, there’s a lot of big fights that would be appealing for the fans. I said I shoot for the moon, Conor McGregor is the number four fight. I envision myself dominating these next three fights and finishing my career with a fight with Conor McGregor. That’s my dream, that’s my vision. As I build my legacy and his does what his does, I’ll be waiting if he wants to do it at the end of the road.”
After Sanchez’s comments were dismissed as tomfoolery, McGregor made it known that this is no farfetched scenario. “The Notorious” released an Instagram direct message conversation with UFC president Dana White revealing that he had asked for the fight to be made earlier this year. It didn’t materialize, but McGregor said he’s still willing to oblige Sanchez’s request.
McGregor agreed to fight Sanchez, and actually revealed that he asked UFC President Dana White for the matchup